Thursday 1 December 2011

Texture research by taking photos.

I decided to create a street with as much contrast as posible which meants that iam going to create a street in two different styles, poor neighborhood and a rich or busines area.



Mood Board

Research on textures used in video games and art and design
I found some images of 3d houses made in similar style that I want to create my 3rd world side of street in.


 After researching on games that have maps with houses in poor shape I selected a game called half life 2.
What I liked about this game's house textures was that they make houses look abandoned and like they slowly falling apart but it isn't done over the top.
And this is the second game I researched called Call of Duty 1. It has similar textures as half life 2 but houses look more worn down and destroyed. 
I liked brick and debris textures in this game even though all the textures in the game were too grey.

Here is an example of grass texture from the same game which isn't looking too good.




Texture creation

Wood textures


Grass textures



Rooftop texture 
I created this texture by using a reference image from which I got the outline of roofs pattern and then just drew the rest of shades and shadows.

Road texture


Pavement textures


Rock texture

Brick wall texture


Most of these textures are final designs for texture library.

1 comment:

  1. Ed,
    as we discussed there is still some work to be finished off.
    -1 more game to be researched, think about bad textures to compare to the game textures to already have.
    -mention in statement of intent about Google maps.
    -add screen grabs of places you viewed on Google maps, annotate why you liked these places and what kind of textures you are going to be using from them.

    Any problems just ask me, ill do my best to help.

    ReplyDelete